Behind The Bag: The Kosan Travel Pack System
The journey of our pack system started some 30 countries ago, and back then, we had no idea that we’d eventually develop a bag.
But years of travel and backpacking lead to frustration about the packing options out there.
- Rolling a bag through the narrow, uneven streets, such as Ho Chi Minh or Quebec City, was impossible.
- The ‘backpacking’ bags were actually hiking bags, and they were either way to too big or limited in the carrying options.
- If a bag came with a day bag, it was always an afterthought. It never carried easily with our main bag between destinations, and wasn’t very functional as a day bag either.
- We’d often pack too much, because let’s face it, most of us will fill up the space if it’s available.
And that’s just the beginning, the list goes on.
Fortunately for us, we’d been in the apparel space for a few years so we called up some factories we knew and enquired about prototyping a bag.
We found an incredible factory located in Vietnam, just outside of Ho Chi Minh City. They were making all sort of technical bags, as well as paragliding equipment. When quality of the gear can result in life or death, we knew this was the perfect factory for us.
After submitting initial sketches and the first few prototypes, we hopped on a plane to Ho Chi Minh to meet with our factory face-to-face. We like to be very hands on with our factories, it’s important for us to get to know the people. We spent a week living at the factory manager’s dormitory, ironing out the finer details of the bag. Every day we worked alongside our team and met with and visited local fabric suppliers. We ate lunch with the factory workers (fish and rice) and spent a day testing out our latest prototype in the Mekong Delta. We were even invited to a Vietnamese wedding where the karaoke was mandatory!
Having lunch at our factory in Cu Chi.
Karaoke at the Vietnamese wedding we attended.
Hunting for fabrics at the local markets.
Alex and Mai picking fabrics.
Exploring the backroads of Ho Chi Minh city.
Vietnamese people are typically very warm hearted, friendly, respectful, gracious and exceptionally hard working. Our team in Vietnam is all this and more, and we feel blessed to be working with such incredible people.
Vietnamese are traditionally warm hearted, friendly, respectful, gracious and hard working – honestly though the team we worked with was all this and more.
All this lead to a prototype of the pack system that we are super proud of. It is loaded with features that we think make the perfect travel companion. Some features include:
– 4 different carrying options (incl. hands free carrying capability)
– Front bag clips onto the main bag for added comfort and security while travelling
– Durable, weatherproof ballistic nylon & tarpaulin fabric
– Easy-to-use packing guides for all internal pockets
– Waterproof zippers for all outer openings
MAIN PACK (35L)
– Can be worn as a backpack or duffle
– Padded laptop compartment (fits up to 15” laptop) is accessible when bag is closed
– Adjustable sternum strap
– Padded, adjustable & removable waist belt
– Padded, contoured mesh shoulder straps
– Breathable mesh backing
– Fold away rain cover
– Lockable zippers including TSA approved lock
– Internal compression straps and mesh pockets
– Clamshell opening for full access to the interior of the bag
– Hidden passport/valuables pocket (within the side access laptop pocket)
– Multi purpose sport straps
– Slash proof duffle strap
– Stow Away Duffle Cover
UTILITY BAG (12L)
– Can be worn as a backpack or messenger bag
– Padded laptop compartment (fits up to 13” laptop)
– Stow away padded mesh shoulder straps
– Fold away rain cover
– Unique folded flap adds additional security
– Hidden key holder
– RFID blocking passport pocket
– Internal organization pockets
– Water bottle pocket
The next step is to travel around and field test the bag, while also sharing it with experts like yourself for feedback!
Interested in pre-purchasing the Kosan Travel Pack System? Get it here!